Things To Know About Carbon Monoxide in Your Home
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless and colorless gas produced by burning fossil fuels. This includes natural gas, wood charcoal and gasoline. If it builds up in your home, it can cause serious health issues and even death in high enough concentration. Here’s what you need to know about carbon monoxide.
Low levels of carbon monoxide in your home can lead to headaches, weakness, nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath. Higher levels can cause confusion, blurred vision and loss of consciousness. As it replaces oxygen in your blood, you can die from breathing too much carbon monoxide.
The main sources of carbon monoxide in a home are a gas furnace, water heater, fireplaces, gas appliances and a car idling in the garage. All of these should be well-maintained and properly vented. You should never use a charcoal grill or kerosene heater indoors due to carbon monoxide concerns.
Techno Air Heating, Cooling and Refrigeration is located in Grove City, OH. We provide maintenance services for gas furnaces, during which we make sure they are operating safely.
Signs of Carbon Monoxide
There may be signs that excessive CO is building up in your home. Stale or stuffy air is one sign, as is excessive moisture building up on your walls or windows. The pilot light in your furnace burning yellow or orange instead of blue is a warning sign. So is soot or chalky white powder building up near fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon Monoxide Detector
All homes should have a carbon monoxide detector. It’s critical that homes with natural gas have one. Every level of your home should have a detector so that everyone can hear them in an emergency. It’s especially important to have one near bedrooms so they can wake people up should carbon monoxide build up in your home. They can be placed anywhere in a room, including the walls or ceiling.
Techno Air Heating, Cooling and Refrigeration offers furnace and AC repair, replacement and maintenance services. We also offer indoor air quality solutions and more. Please call today for more information!Tags: Carbon Monoxide, Home Comfort Tips, IAQ